Library Annual Plan
Strategic Plan FY 2021
Approved by the Board of Library Trustees for Caroline County
August 21, 2020
The Caroline County Public Library brings people, information and ideas together to enrich lives, increase knowledge, and build community.
Our primary goal is to have the staff, facilities, materials, programs, and partnerships that
make us leaders in educating and engaging our community.
Three influences will continue to frame services and programs offered and how we provide
them this fiscal year: COVID-19, the current economy, and the movement for racial justice in
We are committed to:
- Providing timely and accurate information and assisting customers to identify
authoritative information and sources.
- Strengthening and ensuring equity, diversity, and inclusion for our team in order to
maintain high levels of customer service and responsiveness to the community.
- Strategically designing new services to meet rapidly changing needs, focusing on
- Keeping facilities well maintained and responsive to customer needs.
- Gathering and sharing stories that demonstrate the power of the library to educate and
enrich the lives of our community members.
- Improve teleworking procedures for positions that meet the criteria.
- Create a safe and functional work schedule to maximize all staff time and duties both in
facility and virtual.
- Create an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion team to help develop a plan for assessment
- Update all job descriptions.
- Complete the new Continuity of Operations Plan.
- Follow the training plan included in the COOP.
- Review and revise the Safety Handbook as needed and review regularly with all staff.
- Complete a storm water management plan for the Central Library.
Learning From Home:
Support the needs of families as they adapt to virtual and blended learning programs. The
following stakeholders have been identified:
- Traditional homeschoolers
- Families temporarily homeschooling during the COVID-19 emergency
- Families engaging with the public school curriculum being delivered online.
Each of these stakeholder groups will have different needs and require different supports. We will identify how to best meet these needs, and develop programs and services accordingly. Additionally, we will market existing services to these groups.
STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) Learning:
Continue to develop and offer strong STEAM programming for youth of all ages in a
Early Childhood Learning:
Continue to develop and offer strong Early Childhood programming, in a safe manner,
in partnership with organizations serving young children and their families.
Continue to maintain enrollment in and funding for Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.
Continue to provide materials, resources and connections to adult learners.
- Leverage circulation of technology to provide remote technological assistance
- To assist those looking for jobs and/or applying for unemployment. This will also help meet some educational needs.
- Support partners by sharing and promoting economic and employment opportunities to the public.
- Host a variety of culturally enriching programs in collaboration with community partners
- Host a variety of topical and civic programs in collaboration with community partners
- Host programs that address race and social justice in collaboration with community
- Explore the means to provide safe and meaningful in-person events when possible.
- Market programs through website, MyFamilyNeeds.info, social media, and partners.
- Develop a design plan for Central Library first floor renovation that both has health &
safety in mind and meets the needs of our customers.
- Develop a plan for re-furnishing the North County Branch public space for more flexible
- Work with the Friends of the Library to increase their membership base and fundraising.
- Work with Friends of the Library to develop a capital campaign for them to raise funds
to assist with Central and NCB furniture costs.