Caroline County Public Library Laptop User Agreement/FAQ
What do I receive when I check out a laptop?
- You will receive a laptop in a case, a charger, charging cord, a mouse, and a copy of this agreement in a bag. Library staff will be available to offer long-distance tech support.
- Laptops will come with a “getting started” guide.
- The laptop runs the “Windows 10” operating system, so the display will look similar to most of the library’s public computers.
● You may request a hotspot separately from the laptop. The library does not guarantee a hotspot will be available for all laptop checkouts.
What is a hotspot?
- A wi-fi hotspot is a device that provides Internet access anywhere it receives a signal.
- With a hotspot, you will be able to connect to the Internet using the laptop, as well as other compatible
computers, phones, and tablets.
- Click here to see hotspots in the catalog, or call 410-479-1343 x106 to request we place a hold.
Who is eligible to borrow a laptop?
- Caroline County Public Library cardholders with active accounts in good standing
- No overdue items
- No outstanding charges
- Borrower must be at least eighteen years old
- One laptop may be borrowed per household at a time.
How long do laptops circulate?
- Borrowers may check out laptops for 1 week at a time.
- Library laptops will not be renewed automatically. To request a laptop renewal, please call 410-479-1343 x106 from 10-6 Monday-Friday and 10-3 Saturday or email email@example.com.
How do I request & receive a laptop?
- Click here to request a laptop through the library catalog. Have your library card number ready.
- Laptops may also be placed on hold using the Library to Go order form or by calling 410-479-1343 x106 from 10-6 Monday-Friday and 10-3 Saturday.
- Please note if you would like a hotspot.
- Laptops cannot be reserved for specific dates.
- You will be notified by phone when a laptop is ready for you to pick up.
- Laptops may be picked up during any Library to Go curbside pickup shift.
How do I get help with the laptop while I have it checked out?
- Tech support for laptops is available Monday-Friday from 11 am – 6 pm and Saturday from 10 am – 3 pm.
- Place a tech support request by clicking the round button in the bottom-right corner of www.carolib.org. A library staff member will respond to your request and walk you through giving them the ability to see and control your computer screen.
- Tech support requests begin as online chats. Please have a phone ready if you prefer staff call you.
What fines and fees apply if something happens to the laptop?
- Total replacement cost for a laptop & its accessories is $500.
- Contact the library if you have misplaced or damaged a single piece of the laptop.
What are my responsibilities if I check out a laptop?
- The borrower of the laptop assumes responsibility for the condition of that laptop while it is checked out to them. They are liable for any and all damaged or missing pieces, regardless of how the damage occurred.
- The borrower of the laptop is responsible for monitoring the use of the laptop by other parties.
- The Caroline County Public Library is not responsible for the content of the Internet or for any personal information shared while using the laptop.
- As per the library’s Internet Use Policy, any restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the child’s parent or legal guardian.
- The borrower of the laptop must not use the laptop to engage in illegal activity or violations of the library’s Internet Use Policy. The borrower is liable for all damages resulting from such activity.
What do I need to know about saving files on the laptop?
- Library devices use Deep Freeze to restrict data from being saved to the hard drive.
- Users are responsible for saving to cloud-based services or to a thawed folder on the desktop of the laptop, or to a USB drive.
- Contents saved to the thawed folder will be erased when the laptop is checked in.
How do I return a laptop?
- Make sure you have a copy of any files you created (either in an online cloud service or a USB drive; see above).
- Check that everything has been returned to the bag.
- Bring the bag containing the laptop, etc. to any Caroline Library during open curbside hours.
- Call the curbside pickup number on the library doors. A staff member will instruct you where to leave the bag.
- Laptops returned missing a piece or with damage will not be checked in.
- Do not leave the parking lot until the staff member has returned into the building with the laptop.
How can I take proper care of the laptop?
- The laptop must not be left in a hot or cold environment (vehicle, outdoors, etc.)
- The laptop must not get wet.
- The laptop must not be disassembled.
- The laptop should be returned fully charged.
By checking out a laptop, the borrower assumes full responsibility for the condition and use of the laptop while checked out on their library card. They promise not to use the laptop in ways that would break the law or violate the library’s Internet Use Policy, and assume full liability for any damages caused by their use thereof. They agree to return the laptop on or before the due date, and will abide by any penalties incurred by losing or damaging a laptop or its accessories.